- James Gunn is set to direct the sequel to Suicide Squad which will be released on 6th August 2021.
- James has apparently been given full freedom to direct the movie in any way that he wants.
- The director plans to kill off some main characters given the R-rated nature of the movie.
- James Gunn was offered Suicide Squad after he was fired from Guardians of The Galaxy Vol.3.
- Marvel soon realized their mistake and hired him back but the movie is now on hold until Suicide Squad is completed.
- James talked to lengths about the projects and what he plans to do with his new characters.
- There are currently over 15+ DC projects in the works, check them out below.
James Gunn has had his fair share of ups and downs in the past few years in his collaboration with Marvel. After the two parted ways on a bitter note, James was hired by Warner Bros. and DC to direct the upcoming iteration of Suicide Squad. The director apparently is in full control of the project and says…
I Was Given Full Freedom to Kill AnyoneJames Gunn
It’s not like Marvel and James Gunn have parted ways permanently. After the director was fired from Guardians of The Galaxy Vol. 3, he was immediately hired to direct the next Suicide Squad. James was given full freedom to choose any DC movie that he would have liked to direct and he narrowed down on the Suicide Squad sequel as the story seemed quite appealing to him. Marvel soon realized their mistake after this and James was hired back to direct Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3. Sadly now, the movie will be delayed until the Suicide Squad sequel is completed, and only then will James be able to return to the project.
The new sequel to Suicide Squad by James Gunn will feature new characters alongside old ones that include Harley Quinn, Rick Flag, Captain Boomerang, and Amanda Waller herself. In terms of its new characters the movie will introduce us to Bloodsport who will be played by Idris Elba, Peacemaker who will be played by John Cena and Savant played by Michael Rooker.
As for the story, James Gunn seems to be playing his cards close to the chest when it comes to Suicide Squad. Despite this, it is pretty clear that the upcoming movie is not exactly a sequel to its 2016 predecessor…
It does not contradict the first movie, I don’t think. It might in some small ways… I don’t know…James Gunn
James also went on to praise David Ayer for his casting choices for the 2016 film which seemed to have helped him tremendously on the new project. That said, James is looking to make the new movie quite the R-rated thriller with some important deaths sprinkled throughout the runtime…
I think you know, from pretty close to the beginning, that all of the Guardians are good – apart from Nebula, who’s the outlier. But in The Suicide Squad, some of the characters end up being good, some end up being terrible. They don’t just get in fights and say they’re going to kill each other, they actually do get in fights and kill each other. You really don’t know who’s going to live and who’s going to die. I was given full freedom to kill anyone – and I mean anyone – by DC.James Gunn
As for who will die, it’s anybody’s best guess but this seems to be a breath of fresh air considering the current trend of Marvel movies where important characters seem to defy the odds and survive every time.
DC has also announced a spin-off series for the Suicide Squad franchise starring John Cena’s Peacemaker which will be released after the movie on HBO Max. This series however is supposed to be a prequel to the movie which leaves the Peacemaker still at the mercy of James Gunn.
The movie will hit the theatres next year on the 6th of August 2021 given that there are no more delays to the production due to the pandemic. Other upcoming DC movies include the following…
- Wonder Woman 1984 | 25th December 2020
- Justice League Snyder Cut | TBA
- Batman | 1st October 2021
- Black Adam movie starring the Rock | 22nd December 2021
- Shazam Fury of the Gods | 4th November 2022
- The Flash movie | 3rd June 2022
- Aquaman 2 | 16th December 2022
- The Trench | TBA
- Batgirl movie | TBA
- Green Lantern Corps | TBA
- New Gods | TBA
- Blackhawk | TBD
- Jared Leto Joker movie (untitled) | TBA
- Supergirl movie | TBA
- Nightwing movie | TBA
- Justice League Dark | TBA
- Gotham City Sirens | TBA
- Blue Beetle | TBA
- Plastic Man | TBA
- Man of Steel sequel | TBA
- Deathstroke movie | TBA
- LOBO movie | TBA
What do you think about the upcoming movies? Do you wish James Gunn to not kill of a character? Share your thoughts with us below!
In other news, check out all the backlash faced by the new Borat movie before its release!