- Ruth Wilson was part of Showtime’s hit series ‘The Affair’ for around 4 seasons.
- The show was quite popular and Ruth even won a Golden Globe for best actress due to her performance in the first season of the show.
- Despite all this everyone was shocked when Ruth Wilson left the Affair after the 4th season of the show.
- The 5th season, which was the final one, had to be completed without Ruth.
- There was a lot of speculation regarding the departure but nothing was ever revealed officially. The show’s producers as well as Ruth herself were tight lipped about the situation until now.
- The Hollywood Reported conducted an expose’ into the matter which revealed a lot of unsettling details.
- Ruth recently appeared in an intrview where she exclusively talked on the matter like never before. Find out what made Ruth Wilson leave the Affair in its prime.
The Affair has been a steady-going series by Showtime that even managed to win a few awards over the course of its run. The leading lady, Ruth Wilson, even won a Golden Globe for Best Actress in the first season of the show. It was thus a huge and massive blowback when it was revealed that she will not be a part of the 5th and final season of the show. At first, the reason for the departure was unclear and Ruth herself seemed to dodge questions about it.
She recently appeared in an interview where Ruth Wilson said on why she left the Affair…
The reason I haven’t gone into The Affair is that I haven’t worked out how to discuss it. There’s a lot of noise and anger surrounding it, and really the power rests with me to choose how I discuss my life and my experiences.Ruth Wilson
Ruth further added…
What’s important to say is that I did speak up. I did have a voice. I did stand up for myself. There was a situation on The Affair where things didn’t feel right, and I dealt with them, and I managed to protect myself.Ruth Wilson
This is the first time that Ruth has opened up so much when it comes to talking about her departure from the show. Earlier in 2018, the actress had given an interview to NYT in august and said…
It isn’t about pay parity, and it wasn’t about other jobs, [but] I’m not really allowed to talk about it…There is a much bigger story.Ruth Wilson
An expose story by THR into the matter did not yield much except for a handful of clues and signs of a cover-up. Despite all the efforts, most signs pointed to the show’s co-creator Sarah Treem. Sarah is reportedly known to ask actors to perform nude scenes on quite a frequent basis, a fact that Ruth did not find any comfort in.
Sarah Treem of course denied all the allegations and said…
I have devoted my entire professional life to writing about and speaking to women’s issues, women’s causes, women’s empowerment and creating strong, complex roles for women in theater and in Hollywood, on- and offscreen. It’s what I think about, what I care about, it’s what drives my life and work. The reason I even created The Affair was to illuminate how the female experience of moving through the world is so different from the male one, it’s like speaking a second language. The idea that I would ever cultivate an unsafe environment or harass a woman on one of my shows is utterly ridiculous and lacks a grounding in reality.Sarah Treem
Ruth Wilson currently has left the Affair behind for good and seems to be enjoying her latest venture ‘His Dark Materials’. An adaptation of books of the same name by Phillip Pullman. The show is produced by BBC One and HBO TV.